Pages

Age on YouTube

Sunday 15 February 2015

Hello there,

I love YouTube, I have my own channel which I upload twice weekly on (Wednesday and Sunday at 10am GMT if you're interested) and as well as being part of the community that way, I also spend most of my time watching other people's videos too.

source
I recently was watching a vlog of someone who asked the question, Was she too old for YouTube? This youtuber was in her thirties but the reason behind her question was the fact that there are so many newer younger YouTubers arriving on the scene that you start feeling old by just watching the videos. I have sat before watching a video and thought "this individual has never seen Fun House/The Crystal Maze" or "they didn't know that Billie Piper was once upon a popstar".

I don't think it is possible to be too old to film videos as long as the enjoyment is there, then there is no reason to think that you are too old, after all age is just a number in the end.

The thing I am unsure of is if its possible to be too young for YouTube. Whilst searching for Superdrug Hauls recently I came across a collection of videos from a girl who couldn't have been older than 10, filming what she had got from Superdrug and Claire's in a haul just like her idols Zoella and Tanya Burr, both of which she mentioned in the video as she bought both of their books and shared them in the haul.

Whilst I'm aware that all of Zoe and Tanya's little fans want to be like them, there was something uneasy about watching this girl film her video. As most of us are aware, the internet can be a horrible place full of some very vile people and there lies the reason why I think it could be possible to be too young.

Think back to when you were beginning your teenage years, how a little mean thing said to your face would hurt like hell. A comment online is normally 10 times worse than that and I'm just not sure a young girl will be able to shake it off as easily as we do.

What do you think? Should there be a minimum/ maximum age for YouTubers and creators?

Lots of Love,
C
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment